Accounts Payable Specialist
The Accounts Payable Specialist is responsible for all payments of goods and services necessary for the basic operations of the company. As such, the AP Specialist is charged with managing invoice processing & payments in a timely and efficient manner, maintenance of vendor records in the accounting database & filing systems as well as G/L reconciliations and analyses.. In addition, this position is charged with effectively developing and managing new and ongoing vendor relationships. This role also serves as an auditor, ensuring that invoices are accurate and that proper accounting procedures are followed by members outside the department and, as such, may serve to educate internal colleagues and the appropriate steps and processes.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Effectively and consistently reviews all invoices in accordance to department procedures for appropriate supporting documentation, proper G/L coding and departmental approval prior to processing and payment
- Promptly organize and prioritize invoices according to cash discount potential and payment terms for weekly check run scheduling
- Process check requests, customer refunds, weekly check runs and ACH/wire payment runs
- Thoroughly research and independently resolve all positive pay exceptions on a timely basis; proactively escalate more complex situations to AP Manager.
- Effectively manage Purchase Order process, including setting up P.O.s for the Accounting Department, tracking all VHL departments’ spending against open P.O.s, updating key stakeholders as necessary and closing all VHL P.O.s accordingly.
- Respond to vendor inquiries, reconcile vendor statements, research and resolve discrepancies on a timely basis..
- Maintain files and documentation thoroughly and accurately in accordance with company policy and accepted accounting practices; independently make improvements as needed
- Assist in the overall month end closing process. Manage monthly closing of the financial records and posting of month end information to ensure the accuracy of general ledger activity and account balances for Accounts Payable, Accrued Expenses and Prepaid Expenses.
- Process annual 1099 filings and assist in the year end external audit as well as track company AX credit card charges and reconcile statements on a timely basis as well as ensure accurate recording of the expense transactions into Great Plains and manage petty cash transactions
- Provide reports and analysis as requested by the Controller
- Assist in updating the Department Policy & Procedural Manual; proactively makes suggestions to improve processes and efficiencies
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree (or comparable experience), in Accounting or in Business is preferred
- 5+ years of progressive AP experience in a high volume environment
- Demonstrated well-developed knowledge of applicable accounts payable/general ledger systems and procedures, financial chart of accounts and corporate procedures
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office in addition to advanced MS Excel skills
- Great Plains experience a strong plus
- Well-developed knowledge of Accounting principles documentation skills, and research and resolution skills
- The ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- The ability to interact, in person, via email and on the phone with employees and external vendors in a clear and professional manner
Why Join Us:
Why join us? We at Vista Higher Learning are proud to say that we’re not just another publisher. We’re the leading specialized language publisher for U.S. and Canadian higher education and secondary school markets whose first-hand knowledge of languages and diverse cultures sets us apart from other publishers. We’re passionate about developing educational materials that incorporate authenticity and culture. We bring a fresh new approach to teaching languages by integrating technology, design, content, and pedagogy to make learning easier, more practical, and more rewarding. With current programs in Spanish, French, Italian and German Vista Higher Learning is committed to helping people communicate across languages and cultures.
Our benefits package includes life/health/dental/vision insurance, 401(k), educational assistance, PTO and paid holidays
Vista Higher Learning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.