Assistant Editor / Development Editor
As an Assistant Editor / Development Editor, you are a key contributor to our dynamic language based editorial team and Executive Editor. You will leverage your experience in the areas of research, copyediting and surveys along with your Spanish language skills to write and edit content for our print and digital publications geared towards the Higher-Ed sector. In addition to contributing towards the delivery of ongoing projects you will support the team in developing and selecting engaging and relevant content for our Spanish, French, German and Italian learning materials and college level programs as well as editing and revising content for publication. Our ideal candidate has several years’ editorial experience in a publishing environment, possesses a keen eye for grammar (in English and Spanish), exceptional project management, time management, organization, and communication skills as well as being extremely detail oriented. A true passion for languages and learning is essential!
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to multiple ongoing editorial projects, primarily Spanish but also including French, German and Italian
- Research television clips, short films and or literary readings for inclusion in Vista Higher Learning titles and research other ad hoc projects as needed
- Copyedit materials for publication in accordance with corporate guidelines
- Coordinate freelancers, answer inquiries and troubleshoot issues as they arise
- Edit and create content for publication, research 3rd party content and collaborate with project managers
- As and when appropriate, prepare manuscripts, tearsheets, photo specs, audio scripts and bookmaps for delivery
- At the direction of the Executive Editor, create transcripts and translations of video material as well as create and manage manuscript schedules
- Write activities and articles and copyedit materials for publication in accordance with corporate guidelines
- Collaborate with in-house Editorial Development and Project Management teams
- File and store critical electronic manuscript files and all relevant print materials in a secure and appropriate manner
- Track and enter data in Excel
- Provide light administrative support to Executive Editor as needed
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Experience:
- A BA/ BS degree
- Minimum 3 years of editorial experience in publishing (5 years preferable)
- Must possess native proficiency (written and verbal) in English with near native proficiency in Spanish, OR native proficiency in Spanish with near native proficiency in English.
- Near native proficiency in French, Italian or German is advantageous
- Experience planning, writing, and editing content for large-scale print/digital educational products
- Understanding of the American market for world language education at either the Higher Education or Secondary level
- Excellent writing, grammar, spelling, proofreading skills, accuracy, and attention to detail
- Excellent communication and presentation skills - both written and verbally
- Ability to set priorities and meet deadlines for self and others
- Ability to work in a fluid and fast paced environment with shifting priorities
- Strong MS Word and MS Excel skills
- Ability to train and mentor less experienced team members
- Experience with Adobe, K4 or InDesign is a strong plus
Why Join Us:
Why join us? We at Vista Higher Learning are proud to say that we’re not just another publisher. We’re the leading specialized language publisher for U.S. and Canadian higher education and secondary school markets whose first-hand knowledge of languages and diverse cultures sets us apart from other publishers. We’re passionate about developing educational materials that incorporate authenticity and culture. We bring a fresh new approach to teaching languages by integrating technology, design, content, and pedagogy to make learning easier, more practical, and more rewarding. With current programs in Spanish, French, Italian and German Vista Higher Learning is committed to helping people communicate across languages and cultures.
Our benefits package includes life/health/dental/vision insurance, 401(k), educational assistance, PTO and paid holidays.
Vista Higher Learning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.