As a Development Editor, you are a key contributor to our dynamic Spanish language based editorial team and are relied on to leverage your expertise in the areas of content, research, copyediting, and language learning to create and edit content for our print and digital publications. In this capacity, you are involved with a variety of research, copyediting, and copywriting projects geared towards language learning at the higher education level. In addition to monitoring and coordinating the progress of ongoing projects, you will support the team in developing and selecting engaging and relevant content as well as editing and revising content for publication. Our ideal candidate has considerable editorial experience in a language-publishing environment (print and digital), teaching experience, possesses a keen eye for grammar, exceptional project management, time management, organization, and communication skills as well as being extremely detail oriented. A true passion for languages and learning is essential!
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to multiple ongoing editorial projects and products (print and digital)
- Manage freelancers, answer inquiries, and troubleshoot issues as they arise
- Edit and create content for publication, research 3rd party content and collaborate with project managers
- Prepare manuscripts, tearsheets, photo specs, audio scripts, and bookmaps for delivery
- Create transcripts and translations of video material as well as create and manage manuscript schedules
- Research television clips, short films, and / or literary readings and research other ad hoc projects as needed
- Write activities and articles and copyedit materials for publication in accordance with corporate guidelines
- Collaborate with in-house Editorial Development and Project Management teams
- File and store critical electronic manuscript files and all relevant print materials in a secure and appropriate manner
- Track and enter data in Excel
- May run some team meetings
- Provide light administrative support to Managing Editors as needed
Qualifications & Requirements:
- BA / BS degree required; postgraduate degree a strong plus
- 5+ years of editorial experience in education publishing / ed-tech required, coupled with a strong understanding of the U.S. market for language education at the higher education levels (including U.S. curriculum, education standards, and teaching methods)
- Native / near-native proficiency (written and verbal) in both English and Spanish required
- Solid understanding of second language acquisition pedagogy required
- Strong understanding of editorial process (start to finish) in print and online / digital language systems
- Successful track record in planning, writing, and editing content for large-scale print and online / digital educational products with high regard to quality and schedule
- Well-developed project management, communication, and presentation skills (written and verbal)
- Excellent editorial skills required. This includes, but is not limited to, writing and editing content, strong knowledge of English and Spanish grammar rules, editing, and proofreading skills
- Ability to set priorities, develop goals, and meet deadlines for self and others
- Ability to work in fluid and fast-paced environments with shifting priorities
- Experience using MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.); Adobe, K4, or InDesign preferred
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and independently while achieving collective objectives
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making abilities
- Teaching experience preferred
- Passion for travel, languages, and learning
About Vista Higher Learning:
We are world-travelers, educators, editors, linguists, and technology enthusiasts. We’re explorers, innovators, thinkers, life-long learners, and creators. We’re a team of intellectually curious, seriously passionate, culturally-minded individuals who are dedicated to building highly engaging and authentic print and digital language products that foster an appreciation for world languages and cultures in and out of the classroom. If you share that passion for being the best, we want to talk! Our ideal candidate looks for creative solutions, is continually learning, and loves to develop best-in-class solutions to complex technical challenges.
Why Join Us?
We at Vista Higher Learning are proud to say that we’re not just another publisher. We’re the leading specialized language publisher for U.S. and Canadian higher education and secondary school markets whose first-hand knowledge of languages and diverse cultures sets us apart from others in our space. We’re passionate about developing educational materials that incorporate authenticity and culture. We bring a fresh new approach to teaching languages by integrating technology, design, content, and pedagogy to make learning easier, more practical, and more rewarding. With current programs in Spanish, French, Italian and German Vista Higher Learning is committed to helping people communicate across languages and cultures.
Our benefits package includes life/health/dental/vision insurance, 401(k), educational assistance, PTO and paid holidays
Vista Higher Learning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, physical or mental disability, and/or protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by applicable law.