Editorial Assistant (French)
We’re lifelong learners, creative thinkers, technology enthusiasts, and innovators who are redefining the way languages are learned and taught. Our Editorial team is looking for a new Editorial Assistant! In this Editorial Assistant role, you will utilize your French language knowledge in supporting the team with various tasks centered on developing content for VHL print and digital publications. You grow your editorial skills and knowledge of VHL’s high standards for market-appropriateness, content accuracy, pedagogical soundness, and stylistic clarity. If you’re looking for a place to grow, this role is for you!
Duties and Responsibilities:
Provides general administrative support on and assists with a variety of Editorial projects that may include:
- Preparation, and editing of manuscripts, tearsheets, photo specs, audioscripts, bookmaps and/or transcripts
- Researching authentic TV clips, short films and literary/ non-literary readings, etc.
- Writing and editing content while observing VHL’s quality assurance guidelines and processes
- Creating transcripts and translations of video material in French
- Collaborating with internal stakeholders in permissions, corrigenda, and photo selection
- Ensuring electronic manuscript files and all relevant print materials are filed and maintained in a secure and appropriate manner
- Communicating with freelance writers and editors as directed; Escalate complex issues or problems to management
- Locating source(s) of reported content problem(s) in published materials
- Maintaining Excel spreadsheets and preparing documents for Meetings, etc.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree required; French language specialty area highly desired
- Verbal and written proficiency in English and French required
- 0-2 years’ experience in an editorial or administrative role highly preferred
- Working knowledge of MS Suite required
- Working knowledge of Adobe Acrobat Pro required
- Familiarity with Skype, Slack, Go-To-Meeting or other similar online communication tools highly preferred
- Solid written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to self-organize and achieve objectives amidst shifting priorities
- Strong time management, organizational skills
- Ability to work well autonomously and as a part of a highly collaborative team
About Vista Higher Learning:
We are world-travelers, educators, editors, linguists, and technology enthusiasts. We’re explorers, innovators, thinkers, life-long learners, and creators. We’re a team of intellectually curious, seriously passionate, culturally-minded individuals who are dedicated to building highly engaging and authentic print and digital language products that foster an appreciation for world languages and cultures in and out of the classroom. If you share that passion for being the best, we want to talk! Our ideal candidate looks for creative solutions, is continually learning, and loves to develop best-in-class solutions to complex technical challenges.
Why Join Us?
We at Vista Higher Learning are proud to say that we’re not just another publisher. We’re the leading specialized language publisher for U.S. and Canadian higher education and secondary school markets whose first-hand knowledge of languages and diverse cultures sets us apart from others in our space. We’re passionate about developing educational materials that incorporate authenticity and culture. We bring a fresh new approach to teaching languages by integrating technology, design, content, and pedagogy to make learning easier, more practical, and more rewarding. With current programs in Spanish, French, Italian and German Vista Higher Learning is committed to helping people communicate across languages and cultures.
Our benefits package includes life/health/dental/vision insurance, 401(k), educational assistance, PTO and paid holidays
Vista Higher Learning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, physical or mental disability, and/or protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by applicable law.