Managing Director (Vista Academy)
We’re looking for an experienced leader to drive the success of our new education platform for online language learning. In this exciting new role, you’ll have the opportunity to build a business function from the ground up – from conception through execution, and everything in between. This is an ideal opportunity for someone with an entrepreneurial spirit, strong background in online language education and business development, who pivots elegantly between being a tactical doer to a strategic vision setter without skipping a beat. In this game-changing new role, you’ll have the opportunity to partner with our executive team to define the vision, operational model, conceptualize and build a best-in-class product and service offering, develop revenue growth strategies, as well as spearhead instructional design efforts, instructors and customer relationship teams in an effort to grow a new and exciting area of our business.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Partner closely with executive team to develop a stellar product and service offering strategies for new online language learning platform for educational institutions
- Identify, execute and drive solutions to a variety of online learning challenges and opportunities
- Lead strategic planning decisions around scaling the business and platform
- Shape various long and short term operational and service models, including developing 12 month, 2 year, 5 year+ growth strategies and run day to day business operations
- Serve as a thought-leader on instructional design, instructor supervisory and customer relationship models
- Build, manage and cultivate a team of instructional designers, educators, marketers, sales and customer relationship specialists
- Identify new partnership opportunities, establish strong relationships with school dean’s and close business
- Acquire new customers and oversee those who manage those relationships day to day
- Serve as an internal product expert and champion – maintain strong knowledge and oversight of competitive landscape and leverage knowledge into robust product recommendations, plans strategies etc.
- Partner closely with VHL Technology Development team to keep up to date a world class online product and service offering
- Define and implement a Continuous improvement Model based on Deming principles.
- Develop annual departmental budgets as well as regular program specific reforecasts
Qualifications & Skills:
- BA/ BS degree from a 4 year accredited university
- 7+ years of experience in a sales, marketing, business development or operations role within the online language learning sector
- 3+ years of experience building, managing and developing high-performing cross functional teams (experience building/ managing offshore teams, a strong plus)
- Excellent knowledge of instructional design methodologies; previous experience as a language educator, a strong plus
- Really understands the value and importance of education technology, understands the unique challenges and opportunities within the online language learning space; leverages insights into winning solutions
- Solid understanding of the competitive landscape and customer needs; has demonstrated success in building winning solutions
- Experience managing P&L, budgeting, forecasting, building reports, analyzing results and using data and experience to inform decision making
- Strong project management, strategic planning and communication skills – able to lead through influence, see the bigger picture and dive in to get things done
- Strong relationship building, business development, sales and negotiation skills
- High degree of comfort with ambiguity, entrepreneurial spirit, drive to win – thrives in highly collaborative dynamic environments with an ambitious appetite for growth and success
- Experienced people manager and coach
- Previous experience building out a new business within a business, a strong plus
- Passion for language, learning and education is a must!
- Willingness to travel for business (about 20%)
Why Join Us:
Why join us? We at Vista Higher Learning are proud to say that we’re not just another publisher. We’re the leading specialized language publisher for U.S. and Canadian higher education and secondary school markets whose first-hand knowledge of languages and diverse cultures sets us apart from others in our space. We’re passionate about developing educational materials that incorporate authenticity and culture. We bring a fresh new approach to teaching languages by integrating technology, design, content, and pedagogy to make learning easier, more practical, and more rewarding. With current programs in Spanish, French, Italian and German Vista Higher Learning is committed to helping people communicate across languages and cultures.
Our benefits package includes life/health/dental/vision insurance, 401(k), educational assistance, PTO and paid holidays
Vista Higher Learning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, physical or mental disability, and/or protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by applicable law.