Managing Editor (ELL / ELA)
As a Managing Editor, you are relied on to leverage your considerable editorial expertise to define, create, and manage content and project roadmaps for a variety of engaging ELL / ELA language print and digital projects. In this position, you will play a critical role in conceptualizing new programs and provide guidance on quality standards, pedagogy, and best practices for creating and editing content geared towards K-12 English language learning. As a hands-on manager and doer, you will also contribute to the team by owning and participating in content related deliverables. In addition to strong people management, writing, and editorial skills, a compelling candidate will have equally strong project management and problem solving skills, as well as possess a keen eye for English grammar, and is extremely detail oriented. A true passion for languages and learning is essential!
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Identify, manage, and guide writers, editors, and consultants, freelance and in-house, as well as provide training, direction, and mentoring on applying editorial quality guidelines
- Supervise and train freelance editors and writers
- Create and manage budgets and forecasts for external costs
- Create and manage manuscript schedules with strict attention to detail
- Track multiple ongoing, high-priority projects simultaneously
- Conceptualize and plan for all aspects of large-scale English language learning and language arts products (print and digital), such as professional experience, research, competition, standards, technology, etc.
- Lead projects and meetings
- Develop department-wide quality guidelines and best practice procedures, including training documents
- Create transcripts of video material as well as create and manage manuscript schedules
- Write activities and articles; copyedit materials for publication in accordance with corporate guidelines
- Collaborate with in-house Editorial Development and Project Management teams
- Support Sales and Marketing teams from an editorial perspective by acting as a product expert for instructor queries, preparing documents for and presenting at Company Sales Meetings
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Experience:
- BA / BS degree; postgraduate degree preferred
- 7+ years of editorial experience in educational publishing, coupled with strong understanding of US curriculum standards in EL / ELA
- 2+ years of experience managing and building highly functional editorial project teams (local and remote)
- Teaching experience preferred
- Strong understanding of editorial process (start to finish) in print and online / digital language systems
- Native proficiency (written and verbal) in English
- Successful track record in planning, writing, and editing content for large-scale print and online / digital educational products with high regard to quality and schedule
- Well-developed project management and presentation skills (written and verbal)
- Excellent writing, grammar, spelling, proofreading skills, accuracy, and attention to detail
- Ability to set priorities, develop goals, and meet deadlines for self and others
- Ability to work in fluid and fast-paced environments with shifting priorities
- Experience using MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, etc.); Adobe, K4, or InDesign preferred
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team and independently while achieving collective objectives
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making abilities
- Ability to travel to corporate office in Boston, MA as needed
- Passion for travel, languages, and learning
Why join us?
At Vista Higher Learning, we are proud to say that we’re not just another publisher. We’re the leading specialized language publisher for the U.S. and Canadian higher education and secondary school markets, whose first-hand knowledge of languages and diverse cultures sets us apart from other publishers. We’re passionate about developing educational materials that incorporate authenticity and culture. We bring fresh new approaches to teaching languages by integrating technology, design, content, and pedagogy to make learning easier, more practical, and more rewarding. With current programs in Spanish, French, Italian and German (with more to come soon), Vista Higher Learning is committed to helping people communicate across languages and cultures..
Our benefits package includes life / health / dental / vision insurance, 401(k), educational assistance, commuter pass subsidies, PTO, and paid holidays. We also offer a variety of perks, such as monthly chair massages, company lunches, onsite cardio and strength training classes, and much more!/p>
Vista Higher Learning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by applicable law.