Rights & Permissions Specialist
The Rights and Permissions Specialist is responsible for tracking and clearing permissions for third-party content such as photography, video, text and audio. This includes maintaining an accurate and comprehensive permissions tracking system, implementing and maintaining efficient photo selection workflows, and securing permissions for assigned projects. The Rights and Permissions Specialist also works closely with the Editorial department to source and secure permissions for text, short films, as well as music and audio selections
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Secure permission for third party images or copyrighted materials as requested by the Editorial team. Research rights holders, negotiate rights, terms, fees, including second and third layers of required licensing.
- Work with Senior R&P Specialist and Team Lead to maintain and develop best practices for the department.
- Source new photography and video suppliers to enhance Preferred Vendors list.
- Provide quality photo research from preferred stock photography vendors.
- Attend bi-weekly status meetings with Design, Production, Marketing and Editorial on all projects assigned and provide a report of rights clearances and permissions issues to the project team.
- Maintain accurate permissions logs and update them regularly as new permissions are acquired.
- Request high-resolution files from stock vendors and rights holders and prepare them for the Production team.
- Create photo and text credits and provide the lists to Production.
- Create PO’s and process invoices for all projects assigned.
- Provide regular status and metrics-based reports to manager
Required Skills, Knowledge & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-5 years’ experience with tracking assets and digital archive management, database system entry, well-developed knowledge of asset licensing in publishing or related industry
- Well-developed data entry skills; demonstrates accuracy with large volumes of data input, and thoroughly tracks relevant department updates
- Demonstrates well-developed knowledge of archive management and digital systems
- Well-developed problem-solving skills; able to independently research permissions issues and provide effective recommendations to secure third party permissions.
- Demonstrates well-developed project management skills; ensures that projects are on track, on schedule and within budget. Ensures that internal stakeholders are up-to-date on project progress and maintains accurate communications. Able to effectively balance multiple time-sensitive projects simultaneously and work with urgency.
- Well-developed ability to creatively interpret and conceptualize a photo spec and provide high-quality photo research
- Work well cross-functionally and employs a solution-oriented approach.
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, Adobe software including Photoshop, Lightroom, and Acrobat.
Why Join Us:
We at Vista Higher Learning are proud to say that we’re not just another publisher. We’re the leading specialized language publisher for U.S. and Canadian higher education and secondary school markets whose first-hand knowledge of languages and diverse cultures sets us apart from other publishers. We’re passionate about developing educational materials that incorporate authenticity and culture. We bring a fresh new approach to teaching languages by integrating technology, design, content, and pedagogy to make learning easier, more practical, and more rewarding. With current programs in Spanish, French, Italian and German Vista Higher Learning is committed to helping people communicate across languages and cultures.
Our benefits package includes life/health/dental/vision insurance, 401(k), educational assistance, commuter pass subsidies, PTO and paid holidays. Plus we offer all sorts of fun perks such as monthly chair massages, company lunches, onsite cardio, and strength training classes and much more!
Vista Higher Learning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.