Sr. Ruby on Rails (RoR) Engineer
We’re life-long learners, creative thinkers, technology enthusiasts and innovators redefining the way world languages are learned and taught in interactive and intuitive environments. We love what we do and we’re proud of the customer-facing products we create! We believe in writing tests first, pair programming and using agile methodologies. We’re working on some extremely cool projects right now in the areas of speech recognition, adaptive learning algorithms, advanced learning analytics and natural language processing and we want you to be a part of that! Our ideal candidate doesn’t think in boxes, is innately curious, and shares our enthusiasm for developing best-in-class solutions to complex technical challenges. We’re looking for an experienced Senior Software Engineer with strong Ruby on Rails knowledge and experience with AWS and cloud-based deployments to participate in all aspects of lifecycle development (planning, design, standups, iteration review and, feature release). In addition, you will manage some of our external resources (contractors and vendors). This is a great opportunity for someone looking to mentor less experienced engineers in ahighly collaborative and flourishing environment.
Our technology stack:
- Persistence: MySQL, Postgres, Redis, ElasticSearch
- Automation: Chef, Cloudformation
- Hosting: Rackspace, AWS
What you bring to the party:
- BA/ BS in computer science or other related field or equivalent experience
- 7+ years engineering experience developing large-scale systems
- Experience in ed-tech or education fields, a strong plus
- Experience building and deploying high-capacity applications in cloud environments (AWS or GCP)
- Experience with SQL, Postgres, Redis, Elasticsearch and or Redshift, CodeBuild & CodeDeploy, Lambda, S3, API Gateway, Unix command-line navigation, Git / Github
- Experience with Linux (especially Ubuntu/ Debian)
- Ability to work well with geographically distributed teams as well as highly collaborative environments
- Ability to execute on projects with fast deadlines, comfortable with ambiguity and is flexible
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Some proficiency in Spanish is a strong plus
Why Join Us:
We at Vista Higher Learning are proud to say that we’re not just another publisher. We’re the leading specialized language publisher for U.S. and Canadian higher education and secondary school markets whose first-hand knowledge of languages and diverse cultures sets us apart from other publishers. We’re passionate about developing educational materials that incorporate authenticity and culture. We bring a fresh new approach to teaching languages by integrating technology, design, content, and pedagogy to make learning easier, more practical, and more rewarding. With current programs in Spanish, French, Italian and German Vista Higher Learning is committed to helping people communicate across languages and cultures.
Our benefits package includes life/health/dental/vision insurance, 401(k), educational assistance, PTO and paid holidays. Plus we offer all sorts of fun office perks such as monthly chair massages, company lunches, onsite cardio and strength training classes and much more!
Vista Higher Learning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, physical or mental disability, and/or protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by applicable law.