VP & Publisher (EL/ ELA)
As a VP & Publisher, you will lead our EL / ELA Editorial function and are relied on to leverage your considerable editorial expertise to direct, define, and create content and project roadmaps for a variety of EL / ELA print and digital programs. In this role, you will lead a team of freelance and staff Editors and provide guidance on quality standards, pedagogy and best-practices for creating and editing engaging and dynamic content geared towards K-12. As a hands-on leader you will also drive the publication plan by owning and participating in content related deliverables. In addition to strong people management, content design and editorial skills, a compelling candidate will have equally strong project management, budgeting, team-building and leadership skills as well as thrives in a fast paced and detail oriented environment.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Partner with CCIO to architect the vision and lead the overall strategy and publication planning for EL & ELA and corresponding teacher support materials, for print, video and digital, in order to create products that are leaders in their segments.
- Define and execute the vision and Publication Plan for EL & ELA. Build and maintain the EL & ELA Pub Plan and ensure that expectations are carried out throughout the team
- Build, lead and actively manage EL & ELA content teams. Direct, develop, manage, provide coaching and mentorship to Editorial Directors and team.
- Lead and manage the Pub Plan Process in EL & ELL. Granting the quality and timely sequence of every step in the process.
- Integrate the knowledge and insight from Marketing, Sales, Technology, Tech Production and Finance in the evaluation, assessment and decision-making process for every EL & ELA project.
- Maintain close oversight of competitive and market landscape (such as student buying behavior, classroom trends and consumer needs) and use knowledge to elevate decision making, influence recommendations and report relevant findings to CCIO.
- Manage the EL & ELA profitability, making the appropriate decisions to grant superior quality at the minimum possible cost and scope of the projects.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Experience:
- BA/ BS degree, advanced degree preferred
- 15+ years of experience leading the development of EL & ELA content and strategy for US Secondary market
- 10+ years’ experience building, managing and leading editorial teams
- Subject Matter Expert in language education with advanced knowledge of market and competitive landscape
- Advanced to expert level understanding of both pedagogical and market issues in the EL, ELA, bilingual, dual-language classroom
- Expert level knowledge of all editorial practices, procedures and skills. Ability to set relevant priorities on a daily basis
- High-level of expertise in developing talent across levels and is effective at building highly-functional and adaptive teams and motivates people to perform at higher levels
- Considerable experience in developing, managing and executing successful product development strategies; efficient in planning and executing to ensure consistent on-time delivery of product and tight oversight of costs; successful track record of planning, writing, and editing content for large-scale or complex print/digital educational products
- Inspires and leads with strong vision and purpose
- Strong leadership, communication and people management skills; effective coach and mentor
- Effectively pivots between strategic and tactical initiatives and issues
- Strong strategic thinker; proven ability to develop and carryout complex and effective projects and plans; results oriented and able to balance 'big picture' thinking with detailed and highly organized execution; able to think strategically to map back to specific goals
- Advanced ability to present program plans, including the marketing story, as well as finished products to senior management, the sales force, and customers
- Strong experience with MS Office Suite, Adobe Professional
Why join us?
We at Vista Higher Learning are proud to say that we’re not just another publisher. We’re the leading specialized language publisher for U.S. and Canadian higher education and secondary school markets whose first-hand knowledge of languages and diverse cultures sets us apart from other publishers. We’re passionate about developing educational materials that incorporate authenticity and culture. We bring a fresh new approach to teaching languages by integrating technology, design, content, and pedagogy to make learning easier, more practical, and more rewarding. With current programs in Spanish, French, Italian and German Vista Higher Learning is committed to helping people communicate across languages and cultures.
Our benefits package includes life/health/dental/vision insurance, 401(k), educational assistance, PTO and paid holidays. Plus we offer all sorts of fun office perks such as monthly chair massages, company lunches, onsite cardio and strength training classes and much more!
Vista Higher Learning is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, age, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, physical or mental disability, and/or protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by applicable law.